Monday, July 13, 2009

Real or Fake?

My tattoo (the one on my right ankle) has always been a conversation starter, especially at gym where people constantly ask me if it is real after staring at it long enough to leave a hole. Even though I wear a grumpy look (not by choice, my determination has a grumpy disposition in the gym) people somehow manage to chuckle their way over to me and start asking me questions about it.


A few days ago, one such guy approached me twice, shied away once in between and then came back with a mission. He was a little too excited considering we were talking about a tattoo that was on my body. I usually get an array of questions next, stuff like where I got it and what it means, followed by a surge of oohs and aahs when I tell them, of course it hurts. Duh! Its needles piercing your body with ink in them, yes it hurts.




I got both my tattoos a couple of years back. I have one on my right ankle and one on my back, left shoulder. Everyone has a reason behind a tattoo; the lack of it only means that they were too drunk to remember. I didn’t want a silly animal/insect or anyone’s name permanently engraved on my body. I wanted it to be of some relevance to me over a period and not just my mood. I got piao liang thi (symbolic) on my ankle. I would have rather it read my name but I guess the Chinese can’t handle something that complex. Anyhow, it ended up meaning ‘beautiful girl,’ which I hope will continue to hold some relevance a few years from now. The one on my back is an astro-symbol of the bull, the Taurus, again not bound to change. I do plan on getting some more in the future but again, I do want to wait and see if anything can captivate me as much.




A tattoo artist has to be someone you can trust or come with some recommendation. After all, he or she is going to drill your body with some permanent colors; wouldn’t you want to be absolutely sure? Safety is a must. Be careful of what needles they use and make sure they are sterilized and sealed. Make sure that the ink (organic) that will be used is fresh and unsealed. Insist that the artist first draw an outline of your design on a wax paper and then blot it onto your skin. Then let him/her re-touch the outlines with a pen if he/she has to and then follow the pattern while tattooing you. Your body is not a piece of paper that they can ink and erase and so the free hand tattooing (no matter how experienced your tattoo artist is) is NOT advised. I’ve seen some free hand tattooing gone wrong and trust me; you don’t want to experience it. Post tattoo care is equally important and not to be neglected. If you are someone that can be allergic to ink or cannot tolerate the pain, then this is not your avenue. Human Anatomy for Dummies: Tattoos near the bone hurt more due to lack of muscle i.e. cushion. So don’t pass out half way through your tattoo.


The thing about tattoos primarily is the artist, then its location and most importantly, what it signifies. A lot of women get tattoos on their biceps which sadly is stretched beyond recognition when they bear kids or gain a few pounds years later. Same thing holds good for men. I’ve seen bull dog tattoos on biceps look like buffaloes when the arm gains fat. Tattoos of your partner’s name and beliefs that are limited to a certain time frame in your life can also spell doom as time passes. Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie will both vouch for that. Let’s hope Saif Ali Khan doesn’t have to undo his symbol of love, the screaming kareena tattoo on his fore arm. Colored tattoos too are a big no no unless you don’t mind getting a re-fill a few years down the lane. The colors begin to fade and look dull and hazy. Among the weird ones, I knew a guy who had his forehead tattooed; it’s something I fail to understand. Also, I don’t’ get it when people’s sensitive and private areas become a canvas for the art. A tattoo is not about self infliction of pain, really.





Talking about tattoos and them being an expression of what we believe or who we are…and blah blah I see a lot of people sporting tattoos these days. I tried typing the word tattoo and viewing images on the net and some really weird and appalling (read grotesque) pictures come up online. Tattoos on the face, skull and inside the eye were some such observations. My friends (regardless of their belief) tattoo symbols of ‘Om’ and the Sikh ‘khanda’ or the ‘Cross’ on their body. I’ve seen Om tattooed right above some womens’ butt crack, I mean why? Some even get hymns and verses of religious script on their body, broadcasted and out there for the world to see. Again, your religion (or anyone else’s) is not something people can proclaim to the world at the cost of others’ sentiments.

Anything religious that people get tattooed is a big deal. For absolutely unaware souls and people who do it in the name of belief, faith and religion, please first research, be aware of what you can and cannot do just for your whims and fancy. Here is a picture of Esha Deol proudly displaying the Gayatri Mantra on her back. The gayatri mantra (or any other sacred script) should not and cannot be sported like a tattoo. People might think they’re above all that and too cool to follow principles and rules but when they get something of a high religious value tattooed on their body in which you commit such worldly sins(and then cremated once you die,) then it is no longer cool. You end up playing with peoples’ sentiments. I can understand (actually NOT) if an Angelina Jolie does it due to ignorance but I don’t see anyone messing with the Muslim faith and getting their scriptures tattooed all over their body, why? It is because there is a certain code of conduct that needs to be followed when you deal with things of religious and sentimental importance.


Esha Deol is stupid enough not to have done her research and made a mockery out of her faith (or not). What is sad is that others follow suit especially in a star worshipped country like India and before you know it people are walking around with the bhagvad gita, quran and the bible all over their body. Hopefully, people have the basic understanding of how a tattoo is done and why they should put so much time and thought into it, before they get it.

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely true, most youngsters’ as a matter of fact people of all ages just think getting tattooed is cool and they get it done without really knowing the meaning behind. Many people across the world think having vedic chants or any other religious symbols on their body would bring peace to mind.
    I have a colleague at work who has some symbols on his body etched, his favorite pastime is martial arts (Judo and kick boxing) and he works as a instructor in his free time , Now after reading this blog, I start wondering what they really mean, is there some meaning behind or is it just some fancy symbols to flaunt Should find out.
    But looks like you have had good experience with having tattoos and thanks for sharing precautionary info which most of them wouldn't be aware.
    Good article, Keep writing and Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting read. It is missing something though; a picture of that tattooed ankle would make this post complete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Airfoil: What is missing is your true identity :)

    ReplyDelete